Monday, October 27, 2008

Stevie Wonder

On Saturday night we went to see Stevie Wonder in concert at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre.

Being one of my all-time favourite artists, this was a rare treat, and he didn't disappoint. Both Stevie and his band were magnificent.

There were a couple of small let downs. First, while he got through most of his hits, he didn't do some of my favourite songs, such as 'Do I Do' and 'Blowin' in the Wind' (yes, I know that last one was a Bob Dylan cover), instead choosing to sing some more obscure songs which I, and everyone else judging by the lack of reaction, didn't know. They were still good though. Second, he let some 14 year old competition winner go up and sing 'I Just Called to Say I Love You', and she killed it (not in the good way).

He did a few jazz numbers, which is always fine by me, making use of the wide range of instruments in his band. He even started off with a Miles Davis number, showing off his skills on the harmonica.

All in all it was a really good night - 2 and a half hours of great music.

No comments: